Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Four Corners

Everyone has their sense of identity.

Identity is what makes us who we are.

It is in the silver lining what we are made to be, what we are going to be, and who we are but we ever thought about our own identity?

On September 6, 2012, the class and some returning classmates from the previous semester were asked questions concerning their identity and answering by moving to the corner that most corresponds to their answer.

For example a question was asked, “Which aspect of your identity do others typically react to the least?”

The class was given for answers to choose from that consists of ether race and ethnicity, gender, sex, and sexual orientation, class and socioeconomic status, and faith and spirituality. Each corner of the room had a clear mark or label with each of these answers.

For the question, “Which aspect of your identity do others typically react to the least?” had walked to the corner displaying gender, sex, and sexual orientation because I feel like one doesn’t really make a big deal when they notice what sexual orientation, sex, or gender you are. “Oh, you’re a female? Ok.” And one doesn’t think more than that about your sexual orientation, sex, or gender you are.

Doing this exercise was quite difficult because I have not asked myself these questions before thus, I did not have an answer and it took me some time in order to answer the question and move to the comer displaying my answer.

For example, the class was asked “Which aspect of identity most divides your family of origin?” I had chosen class and socioeconomic status. I had not thought about it before. My family seems really greedy. To me they seem to care most about living in a big house, fancy cars, and designer brands. They want me to have a career that fill my wallet but I tend rather care about following my heart. Because of this, it has caused a lot of conflict in my family.

This is a great exercise and when it was completed I found myself still questioning myself the questions asked.

I guess I still have more thinking to do in order to understand and discover myself.         

0 comments:

Post a Comment